Image Credit: Bandshell 1936, via http://torontothenandnow.blogspot.ca/2011/09/27-memories-of-canadian-national.html
The Art-Deco CNE Bandshell was built in 1936, replacing the bandstand that had occupied this area of Exhibition Place since 1906. Modeled after the Hollywood Bowl, the bandshell was designed by Craig and Madill Architects, a Toronto firm formed by former school mates and then colleagues James H. Craig and Henry Harrison Madill.
Craig and Madill were not only successful practitioners, they also played an important role in the governance of the profession and architectural education. Craig was President of the OAA for two consecutive periods, 1931-1932, while Madill was Chairman of the OAA Registration Board 1944-1956 and Director of the School of Architecture at the University of Toronto between 1934 and 1957.
The Bandshell hosted its first concert in 1936 and was dedicated by Sam McBride (Mayor of Toronto) and Sir Percy Vincent (Lord Mayor of London). The opening night featured performances by The Kneller Hall Band of England and the Toronto Symphony Orchestra. Ever since then, the Bandshell has played host to many big name acts from every decade, including Louis Armstrong, Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians, Joni Mitchell, Bob Newhart, the Scots Guards, The Guess Who, and Salt-N-Pepa.