Notification Window

Welcome to BLOAAG (the OAA Blog)!

BLOAAG is a section of the OAA Website for logged in users to post content, including, but not limited to, articles, images, videos, texts or links. Content is displayed in a visual grid and allows participation and feedback through the sharing of comments and links. BLOAAG allows you to create cutting edge content and ideas to share with the entire OAA community.

You must be a (Licensed architect, Intern architect, Licensed Technologist OAA, Student Associate, Life, Honorary or Retired Member) to access BLOAAG. A username and password is required for access to this Service.

September 06, 2017

Wellington Building Rehabilitation (2016)
In this post of our summer blOAAg series “Shaping Ontario at 150: The built and unbuilt”, we take a look at a rehabilitation of...
Image Credit: doublespace photography
Architectural Credit: NORR Architects
-NORR Architects

August 25, 2017

Sir John A. Macdonald Building (2015)
In this post of our summer blOAAg series “Shaping Ontario at 150: The built and unbuilt”, we take a look at this historical...
Image Credit: doublespace photography
Architectural Credit: NORR Architects
-NORR Architects

October 02, 2016

Victoria Hall (1860)
Location: Cobourg, ONArchitects: Kivas Tully (Original Building); Peter John Stokes Architect, Chapman and Walker (restoration)Date...
Image Credit: Cobourg Public Library, 720-15, 1950
Architectural Credit: Kivas Tully (Original Building); Peter John Stokes Architect, Chapman and Walker (restoration)

October 01, 2016

Isabel Bader Centre for the Performing Arts (2014)
Location: Queen's University, Kingston Architects: N45 Architecture Inc. in association with Snøhetta Architecture...
Image Credit: Doublespace Photography
Architectural Credit: N45 Architects in association with Snohetta

LIUNA Station (former Hamilton C.N.R. Station) (1931)
Location: Hamilton, ONArchitects: John Schofield (C.N.R. Corporate Architect); Renovation and Adaptive Reuse by John Mokrycke...
Image Credit: Library and Archives Canada
Architectural Credit: John Schofield (C.N.R. Corporate Architect); Renovation and Adaptive Reuse by Architect John Mokrycke, Lintack Architects

Graydon Hall Manor (1936)
Location: Toronto, ON Architects: George & MoorhouseDate of completion: 1936Nominated by:  Hon. Michael Coteau,...
Image Credit: City of Toronto Archives
Architectural Credit: George & Moorhouse

June 30, 2016

Castle Frank (1794-1829)
Few building types are as intrinsically knit into Ontario's cultural identity as the cottage, the wilderness retreat of thousands of Ontarians...
Image Credit: Castle Frank, a house created by Governor Simcoe near York, Upper Canada, 1796, Elizabeth Simcoe - sketches, Simcoe family fonds, F 47-11-1-0-231, Archives of Ontario
Architectural Credit: n/a

February 29, 2016

Runnymede Branch Library (1930, 2005)
Like many other building types, libraries are constantly facing ever-changing needs, needing frequent improvements and upgrades in order to...
Image Credit: Photo courtesy of Toronto Archives, 1930
Architectural Credit: John M. Lyle (1930) and G. Bruce Stratton Architects (2005)
-G. Bruce Stratton Architects

February 19, 2016

Toronto Reference Library (1909)
Of the 111 libraries funded by Andrew Carnegie in Ontario, none was larger (or more expensive) than Toronto’s first purpose-built...
Image Credit: Valentine & Sons' Publishing Co. Ltd., Montreal and Toronto, 1910. Courtesy of Toronto Public Library
Architectural Credit: Wickson & Gregg and A.H. Chapman, Associated Architects

February 17, 2016

The Story Behind the Benjamin Brown Records
This past Friday, February 12, the Ontario Jewish Archives opened the exhibition Benjamin Brown: Architect, featuring original drawings,...
Image Credit: Elevation drawing of the Beth Jacob Synagogue on Henry Street, 1919-1922. Ontario Jewish Archives, fonds 49, series 1, file 2
Architectural Credit: Benjamin Brown
-Jay Levine

February 03, 2016

Thomas J. Bata Library (1967)
“We are not committed to any particular style of buildings, but only to a certain spirit…. It is a spirit of appropriateness and...
Image Credit: Perspective drawing by Ron Thom, Trent University (Bata) Library Project # THO 6406, Ron Thom fonds, Canadian Architectural Archives,University of Calgary
Architectural Credit: Ron Thom

January 30, 2016

Library of Parliament (1876)
Canada has a love for libraries. In Toronto alone, more people visit the Toronto public library system every year than the top ten most...
Image Credit: 1930s Canadian Postage Stamp
Architectural Credit: Thomas Fuller

January 26, 2016

The Great Library of Osgoode Hall (1860)
“The Library, too, here to be seen, noble in its dimensions and aspect, must, even independently of its contents, tend to create a love...
Image Credit: : City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 3153 (c.1910)
Architectural Credit: Cumberland and Storm (1860), Bruke and Horwood (1895)

January 12, 2016

“Then take way all “silence” signs and let the people come and talk about the books in an atmosphere of social happiness.”
-George Locke, Chief Librarian of the Toronto Public Library 1908-1937

January 11, 2016

Carnegie Libraries
“Take away all unnecessary decorations, overmantels, over-counters, partitions, mock marble pillars and large hallways, and plan...
Image Credit: Notes on Library Bildings, New York, Carnegie Corporation, 1911
Architectural Credit: Various

November 15, 2015

Coliseum (1922)
Built in 1922 to hold livestock presentations and the Royal Horse Show, the Coliseum was a joint effort between the Canadian National Exhibition...
Image Credit: Postcard of the interior of the Coliseum during livestock judging, CNE Archives, 1925
Architectural Credit: George Frederick W. Price

November 11, 2015

Honour Roll - First World War
Image Credit: OAA
Architectural Credit: N/A

November 10, 2015

Ontario’s First Female Architects (Part 2): Alexandra Biriukova
This is the second of a two part post exploring the life of Ontario’s first female architects, Elma Laird and Alexandra Biriukova. In...
Image Credit: Canadian Homes and Gardens, Vol. VIII (April 1931), p.40.
Architectural Credit: Alexandra Biriukova