06 February 2013
Location: Woodbridge - November 28-29, 2012
Provider: The Ontario Building Officials Association (OBOA)
The course examines the energy efficiency requirements and related compliance and enforcement issues as per Supplementary Standard SB-10, Energy Efficiency Supplement, July 1, 2011 Update, Divisions 1, 3, and 4 that apply to buildings for which a permit has been applied for after December 31, 2011. Division 2 (applies to construction for which a permit has been applied for before January 1, 2012) is not covered in this course.
Participants in this course will be able to:
- Identify the qualifications cited in Division C of the Ontario Building Code that apply to designers and energy modeling consultants under SB-10.
- Understand the scope of SB-10 and how it mandates requirements for energy efficiency in the 2012 Ontario Building Code.
- Address the general requirements under Division 1 of SB-10.
- Explain the three (3) compliance paths that are available under Division 3, SB-10.
- Navigate the critical requirements in the 1997 Model National Energy Code for Buildings, and ASHRAE Standard 90.1-2010 Energy Standard for Buildings Except Low-Rise Residential Buildings.
- Apply the requirements of ASHRAE 90.1-2010 as modified by SB-10 Chapter 2 to satisfy energy efficiency requirements without engaging energy modeling.
- Apply the simplified energy efficiency requirements under Division 4, SB-10 for the construction of certain non-residential building within the scope of Part 9 of Division B of the Building Code for which a permit has been applied for after December 31, 2011.
- Understand how to deal with equivalencies pertaining to energy efficiency ratings for products and equipment.
- Use a simplified checklist for reviewing key inputs to, and outputs from, energy simulation models submitted with permit applications.
On June 15th the Board of Directors approved the development of a new OBOA SB10 training course. Michael Lio of Lio & Associates and Ted Kesik of Knowledge Mapping Inc. are preparing this new 2 day course for the OBOA. The course is now available for delivery and is scheduled for November 28, 29 at the OBOA office in Woodbridge, to register, go to the OBOA course calendar.