Design Workshop Architects is a growing, medium-sized practice working across multiple sectors. We are open-minded about the work we do, we love an unconventional challenge, and our constant attention to excellence has helped to make us a preferred provider to some of Canada’s premiere commercial property owners. We strive for design and artistic excellence, balanced with a top-class design delivery and project management approach. We do our work because we love to learn and create, and we are patiently and deliberately working toward building an exciting future for the company as a next-generation leading practice.
You are a smart and ambitious Intermediate Architect with 4-8 years of full-time work experience, committed to becoming a broadly capable project manager. You care about design, and understand that architecture is a constantly-evolving, rich and deep profession, and you want to make a long-term commitment to learning all you can. You seek the opportunity to continue to be exposed to all sides and phases of a project and to develop as a complete professional, able to lead complex projects.
You care about your city, design, art and culture, and take pride in improving your own learning and abilities. You embrace technology and do not shy from the unknown; you are willing to do the work to help improve processes and drive design. You want to be a part of something new and exciting, to help it grow, and to help create great new opportunities for yourself and your colleagues.
This is a full-time, permanent role and you’ll be paid a competitive salary based on your experience. Overtime is paid after 44 hours and we offer annual performance-based bonuses and a comprehensive benefits package.
You’ll work Monday to Friday, with a flexible work schedule. You’ll be in the office during our core hours of 10 am to 4 pm and will work an 8-hour day. Along with your vacation, you’ll get additional paid time off over the Christmas holidays.
What’s needed to apply:
- You must be a licensed Architect in a Canadian or US jurisdiction and legally entitled to work in Canada.
- A graduate of a university professional program in architecture.
- A minimum of 4 year of post-graduation, full-time experience working for an architectural practice is required, and experience working on large or complex design projects in the commercial, residential, and/or institutional sectors is preferred.
- A thorough (and growing) understanding of the Ontario Building Code, architectural detailing, and building science.
- Experience with planning and permit processes and contract administration.
- Advanced skills with our software, including creating working drawings with Revit and AutoCAD, fluent in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat).
- 3D modelling expertise (Sketchup, Rhino, 3DSMax or Cinema4D).
- Valid driver’s license for site visits.
The tasks will vary widely and will depend on your experience, but they will give you exposure to the many complex sides of the profession. This will include preparing drawings and specifications, providing design input, coordinating with stakeholders (clients, engineers, consultants, municipalities, etc.), and you’ll help with contract administration.
We take pride in the production of exceptional drawings and documents. You’ll work in both Revit and AutoCAD and will learn how good design discipline and thorough preparation lead to smoother construction, managed expectations and a reputation for excellence.
You know that an architect’s core skill is figuring out how to do things for the first time, and you’ll become great at gathering information, marshalling resources and making the interpretations that allow you to successfully overcome design and project challenges.
For more information visit www.dwa-arc.com
Send a digital portfolio along with your covering letter and CV/resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name in the subject line.